Planning an upcoming getaway to the beautiful state of California doesn’t have to eat into your savings.
Whether you’re visiting friends and family or traveling to uncharted territories, California has it all – beaches, mountains, National Parks, and even Disneyland. You can check out popular tourist destinations in California on a dime by planning your travel itinerary in advance:
- Visit a National Park. If you want to save on the price of admission, buy a National Park Pass for $80 in advance that will allow you to travel freely to all National Parks in the nation. In California, visiting a National Park will provide you with beautiful scenery and a long list of activities, like boating, hiking, and picnicking, at your fingertips.
- Check out Legoland. As an alternative to the ever-expensive Disneyland, why not visit Legoland with your kids instead? Legoland is located in Southern California and has kids’ rides, thrill rides, and roller coasters galore. Your kids will be wowed by the many Lego reproductions of famous landmarks in the park, including the Empire State Building and Bourbon Street.
- Visit Six Flags Discovery Kingdom. Yet another affordable alternative to Disneyland is Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, a theme park in San Francisco. In recent years, this park has experienced some major renovations and now includes an aquarium and an animal park, in addition to regular theme park rides.
- Go to the beach. One of the best ways to experience the beauty of California on the cheap is to check out the many beaches throughout the state. Yes, California has the largest coastline of any continental state with notable beaches like Ocean Beach, Newport Beach, and Venice Beach to choose from.
- Attend a free festival. Thanks to beautiful weather year-round, California has dozens of festivals to choose from in any season. Most festivals are completely free to the public, while others have inexpensive admission. You may enjoy the Apricot Fiesta, the Annual Wildflower Show, or the Avocado Festival to sample some of the freshest produce in the state.
If you’re visiting California for the first time, tourist options are aplenty. If you travel smart and stay off the beaten path with the affordable vacation selections listed above, you can save hundreds of dollars on your next getaway. When touring an unfamiliar city, public transportation may be available, or you can rent a private car to help you navigate unfamiliar roads.